Friday, September 27, 2013

Final Demand

My base hospital was dragged into the 21st century by a local business man who when building a cafeteria also suggested they install wifi. 29 months after starting my VSO placement the ER building, my intended workplace, remains under construction, but at least I can check Facebook on my smartphone & have an iced coffee whilst I wait.

The wifi - like most things here - is unreliable & slow. Recently we had no wifi for a week until I cracked & in my pigeon khmer asked the jolly, fat, friendly admin man at the front desk if they had changed the password. An affirmative answer & change of digits fixed that problem. This meant I was then able to smugly gloat to my 2 Cambodian colleagues who hadn't even thought to ask. This is of course because here there is a much higher tolerance of accepting 3rd world problems let alone the insignificant 1st world problem such as slow or absent wifi.

So this week after a big night storm when the wifi had dropped out again, I suggested to L that perhaps it was because of another password change.

She went off to ask the rude, officious admin man about this & was curtly informed there was "a technical problem which was being addressed & she should just wait"

The hospital director was stood right next to PPF as my old VA affectionately called him (Punch Provoking Face) and listened with interest to the conversation.

L was walking back to our office when the Director called out after her & said, a tad sheepishly "Errr, actually we've forgotten to pay the bill so have been cut off"

For some reason this kept me & L amused for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment