Monday, February 21, 2011

They don't celebrate birthdays in Cambodia

I have reached the point in my life when I can no longer call myself mid-thirties, but I did it in style on the banks of the Mekong river in Cambodia.
We had a lazy Sunday with a leisurely cycle ride to bamboo bridge that connects Kampong Cham to an island in the middle of the Mekong. After initial apprehension we were all converted to the strength of Bamboo. Although Katie's squeals of terror could still be heard from a distance.
Katie (AKA my astral twin) and I stretched out our Birthday over 3 nights even though Dara told us that they don't celebrate birthdays in Cambodia and they all get older every new year (April). I'm not sure if this means that I'll be 39 by May. Dara brought us all pineapple on a stick and then made us suffer for 4 hours of language teaching, it isn't getting any easier.
Beers by the Mekong with our motley crew before we headed off for a meal at the local Khmer restaurant where the lovely Louise & Neil had ordered a cake for us. A great surprise and a birthday just isn't a birthday without cake.
The meat cleaver to cut the cake was a little bit of over kill though.

We finished off the evening back at the river for 75 cent beers & wearing down my iPhone battery to 0% for a sound track to accompany us..... 

Happy days........

1 comment:

  1. Horay and congratulations! I am so pleased that you got to have a birthday party, but where was the white fondant icing on the cake?! Happy Happy no sex!!! Ingrid and Katie (from our office desks!) xx

    ReplyDelete