Monday, February 14, 2011

Dengue, Malaria & Japanese Encephalitis



I'm sorry to start off on a medical matter, you can take the doctor out of the hospital but.....
It's just that after our gentle easing into Cambodia living for the last week I have found the biggest leap of thinking to be my relationship with the mosquitoes.
You may think you have sprayed your room with Raid, you use the mosquito net to the best of your 'long-nose' abilities and you 50% DEET-up as often as you can remember but those little buggers still get you somehow.
Now in the UK this would only be a minor inconvenience but of course here the insects are packing heat.
I know no-one really wants to see my swollen ankles but I really needed to share this bite, it is my best ever and I'll know in 7 days time if the delightful day biting mosquito that did this tested positive for Dengue. By it's purplish hue I was already convinced I had haemorrhagic fever.
So it is all about the entomology for me currently.
I can filter my water and wash my food, I can use the mosquito net despite the heat (which is incidentally 'cool' at present), I can render myself a gooey, smelly, sticky blob with DEET and I can use Raid as if it is going out of fashion BUT can I and will I win the battle of the mosquito?! I think we all know the answer to that one.
This will be the first and last 'bite' photo I promise and no fungal infections will be shared either ever!
Thank you for patience......

1 comment:

  1. You can't get out of language lessons that easily!!

    i for one am totally loving the interweb sharing and feel there should be no sanctions on it.

    Good luck with the lessons starting today.
    Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete