Monday, August 26, 2013

Shake a spear


My lovely assistant - L - had to write a poem for her English class. She doesn't really like khmer poems or literature she told me. I had to concede that writing poems was hard enough for a native speaker let alone in a second language. I went through some of Shakespeare's sonnets with her because my understanding of khmer poetry is that it has a very similar structure. 

I showed her Sonnet 116, which I read at my friends' wedding.

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! It is an ever-fixèd mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.


My friend died 15 years ago this February & reading it even now still makes me weep a little. I tried to explain the meaning to L, why these words touch me so much, & its message of the eternity of true love. The line, "Whose worth unknown, although his height be taken." & the meaning I derive from it particularly touches me. 

This sonnet just made L feel frustrated because Shakespeare says "If this be error and upon me proved, I never writ, nor no man ever loved." - typical arrogant man she exclaimed! 

After our discussion & hearing a song her sister played her L wrote this piece - which I think for a first attempt, from a non-native speaker who hates poetry, is pretty bloody awesome.


Whilst I was with you………….

Whilst it is heavy raining, I have an umbrella.
Whilst it is very sunny, I have wind.
Whilst it is very dark, I have light.
Whilst I was walking with you, my legs became stronger.
Whilst I was studying with you, my brain became more intelligent.
Whilst I was eating with you, my stomach became well-functioning.
Whilst I was drinking with you, my throat became clearer.
Whilst I was talking with you, my lip and ears became more skillful.
Whilst I was in hard time with you, my face always has more smiles.
Whilst I was digging the stone with you, my hands became more active.
Whilst I was with you, all great bodies come to me.
Whilst I was with you, my time seems so short.
Whilst you are gone, my time seems so long, my eyes tearing.
Whilst you are flying, my best friend, my blessings are given to you every minute, every breath I’ve taken.
Thanks my best friend for coming. Love you as my brain and breath are working.

No comments:

Post a Comment