Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Epiphany - better late than never!

My VA was telling me how she "hated all men". She had good reason to feel negative but I was gently trying to explain to her that it probably wasn't ALL men that she hated. She assured me it was ALL Cambodian men - she has had a rough 48 hours. I told her if that was the case then really what she hated wasn't men but the culture of a place or society that allows all men to behave in a way she hates so much.

As the words came out my mouth I realised that I can't possibly be angry at all Cambodian health workers for their hateful actions. Of course it is the system that is failing & I should probably take my own advice & acknowledge that it is the organisational culture that allows a whole work force to behave in a way that I find so reprehensible.

With 5 working days as a volunteer left this kind of realisation although late is better than not at all

No comments:

Post a Comment