Thursday, March 14, 2013

I'm a celebrity, get me out of here!

There's a lot of things that I do which aren't strictly in my placement job description & yet are, I consider, capacity building.

This afternoon over coffee break I was doing one such extra-curricula capacity building activity with R - his english home work. Now R has pretty good English but he isn't very confident, so wanted me to check his homework exercise answers.

The format was very similar to my grade 3 khmer text book. Read a piece of writing & then answer questions, match boxes or feel in the gaps. A few sentences where he had to fill in the gaps made me smile, as I said to him he, they could have easily replaced the fictional name with mine.

Examples of this were;

Bob is upset in his work place, he finds it very frustrating.

John is an angry person, during a discussion he can get very aggressive.

Wordlessly R opened his text book to an earlier home work exercise, the task had been 'Write a paragraph about a celebrity of your choice.'

He showed the following writing to me.

"Dr Wilson is a celebrity, nearly almost two years I work with Dr Wilson. So I find that she's a famous person in my mind. She's a very, very good skill and talent in saving patients lives who face a serious problem. She's also got a top score in emergency resuscitation class and she provide excellent medical practice to many country around the world. Specifically many medical practice are provided by her in emergency department. She is very kind and doesn't discriminate to anyone around her. She's also provided all her knowledge and skill on emergency patients resuscitation to all facility which involving to be improved health quality care in Cambodia and other country so needed. So I believe that she's a celebrity."

A little embarrassed he explained he didn't know of any other celebrities to write about, only me & Janice.

It's all nonsense of course but as I'm in the process of writing the final report for my placement which includes me also having to write my own bloody reference e.g. Esther was told by her deputy director, via her Khmer teacher because he was too scared to tell her directly, that she needs to be less angry! Do you think I could use this as my reference for the last 26 months with VSO instead?

Secondly - if I really am a celebrity a) where's my prize? and b) GET ME OUT OF HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment