Thursday, March 7, 2013

Gender - a conversation

This international women's day I'll keep it simple.

Me: Gender is such a big issue here in Cambodia

White older male NGO worker: No it isn't - there are no gender issues in Cambodia

Me: Errrrr - I think you'll find there are plenty. I often think it would be much easier if I was a male  when working with Cambodian doctors.

White older male: You're more likely to have a problem with the doctors listening to you because you are a nurse rather than because you are female

Me: *speechless*

Or another of my favorites.

Me: I try to support Cambodian women I'm friends with & keep gender issue open for discussion with them. Only they can make the change here.

Another old white male - NGO worker: Esther - Cambodian women are like someone who has been born blind. They know no different & you shouldn't be discussing gender issues with them, it will give them silly ideas which are dangerous, If their husbands beat them it will be all your fault. Leave them in the kitchen having babies - that's all they can & should be doing.

Me: *speechless*

And I wonder why I feel permanently incensed here!


Oh & to my favorite middle sister - Happy Internationsl women's-Birth-day!

No comments:

Post a Comment