Friday, September 21, 2012

Golden Anniversary

Today is my parents 50th wedding anniversary. I find myself 7000 miles away from all my family on this day, volunteering as a medical advisor in Cambodia. I'm here because my parents have always supported & encouraged me. There is a sad irony that the unconditional love of the people closest to me has resulted in me being half a world away from them on their special day.

When I was a child & my Grandfather had a stroke, I was more fascinated by the other patients on his ward - with their various tubes, scars & diseases - than visiting him. It was then that I decided that I wanted to be a doctor. My parents have never deviated from supporting me.

My Mother took me to her work in the summer holidays when I was 9 years old & paid me a wage so I could save to buy some roller skates, which unintentionally increased my exposure to medical services & my desire to be a doctor.

My Father would 'help' me with my maths & physics homework - I use the word 'help' here loosely and it should really read 'became increasingly exasperated & frustrated by my stupidity'.

They bought me a Gray's Anatomy text book during A'levels when they could see my resolve to be a doctor was weakening.

They both paid my way through medical school, my Mother staying on at her work & then immediately retiring the moment I graduated. So for the first 23 years of my life they put a roof over my head, fed & watered me & totally financially supported me. This meant that the money I earned from my various summer & weekend jobs (newspaper delivery, burger bar attendant, bakery assistant, nursing axillary), as well as my student loans & overdraft could be solely spent on beer, holidays, festivals & LPs!

They continue to financial support me - as my father likes to tell me, 'Fathers are nature's bankers"

My Father has always believed & reassured me that if things don't work out in medicine that I could be a Bakery manager.

My Mother has always believed in me & put curses on people who dare to upset me!

When I came back from working in Australia - financially broke - they boarded & lodged me for 6 months & tolerated my 30 year old tantrums & regression into a teenage state.

They recorded & watched every episode of Emergency Medics even though my Father is squeamish & can't stand the sight of blood.

My Father has tested my Diploma of Tropical Medicine knowledge on more than one occasion. Once I passed - tick bite fever. Once I was less successful - the flu was actually malaria and he ended up on CCU for a week.

My Mother has tested my surgical & trauma skills with her various falls (its the Pinner in her!) & a hernia.

They both test my mediation & conflict resolution skills regularly!

They are better letting agents than my real letting agents.

They are trouble shooters & problem solvers in all areas of my life.

Their house has provided me with free storage through out the years - the ceilings bow from all my possessions in their attic.

My Mother provides me with knitwear.

My Father provides me with wooden furniture.

They both provide me with a shoulder to cry on & a ear to listen but most importantly they always provide wine.

Since I left home they have provided long distance emotional support whether it be by phone, letter, email, text or skype.

My Father says 'a ton of sympathy is worth an ounce of help.'

My Mother is an extremely empathic, caring & sympathetic person!

They are the best travel companions a daughter could wish for - from long weekends in Exmoor during the madness of my finals, meeting me in Namibia after I'd been an expedition medic, visiting me when I was living & working in Australia, to staying in my wooden house next to the extremely noisy Pagoda here in Battambang - they are adventurous, warm, open, funny, generous, friendly to strangers & of course they always pay for me!

I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them & I can't be there today because of them.

They have instilled me with a sense of justice, they have made me stubborn (more than strong) and as the old saying goes - they have given their child two things, "roots & wings".

So I am really sorry that I can't be there today but..........

Ann & Geoff Wilson - Happy Golden Wedding Anniversary!
......I'll see you in Burma. xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment