Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A wish & a prayer


Sometimes someone else's blog just has to be plagiarized, so here it is from http://stuffexpataidworkerslike.com/
The Expat aid worker's prayer
"submitted by Molly (who blogs at Molly In Monrovia) and Alex
Dear Lord,
Today, aid me in my otherwise mundane tasks, that they shall not
result in gangrene or identity theft.
By Your grace, cancel the flight of our donor, so that I might have 24
more hours to shiny up our anecdotal success stories with pictures of
children
May the M&E consultant be amenable to case studies, or at least
receptive to my sexual advances
May the Internet, like Your mercy, flow abundantly, so that I might
watch that new Rihanna video on Youtube.
Please Lord, give me the serenity to accept the dangers of salads
the courage to eat the unidentifiable bits of meat
and the wisdom to know the difference between the proper course of
self-medication for the results of each
Fill me with Your glorious knowledge of the nationality of the person
that I am greeting, and how many cheek kisses are required; because
otherwise, Lord, it is always kind of awkward.
Grant me the patience to sit through yet another tale of Central Asia
in the early ‘90s, that lo this elderly consultant may one day, acting
in Your name, offer me a job, for only You know when the funding for my
current position may dry up
Lord, may the DJ always play Toto, for I am drunk, and THAT IS MY JAM
Forgive me for saying I was “working from home” the morning after karaoke,
as I forgive the still unsubmitted financial reports of our local partners.
And in Thy wisdom, let today be a public holiday in honor of a former
dictator’s birthday
But failing that, may I not receive too many marriage proposals on my
walk to work, for it shall make me indignant (…but just a couple would
not hurt).
And lead us not into open sewer pits, but deliver us to air
conditioned offices in white land rovers.
AMEN"

No comments:

Post a Comment