Sunday, May 20, 2012

Angry Bird or Going Troppo part 2

Mr S - the head nurse at my hospital has started to call me 'Angry Bird' - he says it with affection & it is usually accompanied with a statement such as "Thank you for staying Esther, I know we frustrate you but I want you to know that I appreciate you." Shortly following this he will then ask me to do something for him, I will say 'yes', it works every time.

Angry Birds - a merchandise sensation here in Asia - is in fact a very fitting term of endearment for me because currently I am angry most of the time (although as a feminist I would usually object to being called a bird - it makes me angry!). I've been hoping that this is all down to the heat & 'going troppo' will vanish with the rains but I fear that there is a deeper rooted cause that a drop in ˚C is not going to address.

You will only have to read my previous blogs to get a general idea about what kind of things cause me to become frustrated & angry. My development of a visual analogue scale probably is a good indicator as to how much time I have been feeling this way recently.

Last month I under took a health facility review, for VSO, of a group of counsellors in Phnom Penh. 60% of their clients are Cambodian, mainly presenting with post traumatic stress & anxiety disorders. When I asked what the 40% ex-pats common complaints were, the answer was Culture Shock. This can present with many symptoms - poor appetite, sleep disorder (but that could be Wat related!), anxiety, depression, irritability.... Then I tentatively asked "Anger?" - apparently yes!

However I don't think that I am culture shocked, I don't believe I am going troppo, what I am experiencing is just a normal reaction to current life events. From  Cambodia to UK, work to home, professional to personal, regional politics & gender issues to bad driving - everything is driving me crazy.

But who I'm really angry with the most is myself & my failure to shake this angry bird trap. So if someone could please catapult a bird in my direction, release me from this cage & get a bonus pineapple for your troubles, it would be very much appreciated.




1 comment:

  1. Howdy Neighbour,
    I just read your blog. I'm in Ho Chi Minh and my thought processes are the same as yours but I can add middle age hormonal shifts as another element. I try to live in ambient temperature, like the rest of my native Viet family, but apart from the odd successful stint I usually retreat to the aircon of our bedroom or a good local cafe for respite. Need to manage this because I think it is really affecting my disposition. Not a problem in 3 years in Singapore but back then I worked everyday in aircon so climate was less an issue. I don't recognize the angry bird that I have become. Figure I am aware of the situation so I'm not following George III! Anyway, Good luck with to you and thanks for the helpful thoughts. Cheers simon

    ReplyDelete