Friday, April 27, 2012

Emotional/financial

One of the documents that URC is working with the MoH is a nursing assessment form.

I was shown a draft of it by Miss J, BTB Hospital co-ordinator for URC & 'she that keeps me sane' as all my other emotional props have left or are leaving imminently.

It initially looked pretty standard to me, subheadings of 'respiratory', 'cardiovascular', 'gastrointestinal' & 'Skin' for example. When nursing a patient you need to know how to position them in bed to facilitate breathing, if they require oxygen, what their exercise tolerance is, are they allowed out of bed to walk, what diet are they on, how are their pressure areas etc etc etc. It was looking very similar so far to nursing paperwork we had in the UK.

Then I came across an interesting subheading combination. 'Emotional' I'm sure we would all agree is another important area to assess when forming a nursing plan for an individual patient. I was slightly bemused to see what the emotional assessment of a patient had been paired with & realised that this simple pairing spoke volumes about the social situation, health system & Cambodian culture.

The subheading's full title was 'emotional/financial'. In the developing world I'm sure the two are inseparable. In the developed world we say that money doesn't bring you happiness but perhaps that's because we don't know what it is like to live on only $2 a day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment