Friday, April 27, 2012

BTB Emergency Medic

Last night Jean & I went to the Circus, "Five Styles" - it was good, less traumatic than "Rouge".

On the way home however we had our own personal trauma.

D, my regular tuk tuk driver had also brought an older Finnish woman to the circus, so we all got a lift back together having the innocuous "where are you from? What do you do?" conversation. We never got as far as what I did but that, all too soon, became apparent.

Everyday I cycle a particularly hazardous intersection between the middle bridge & a busy road on the way to work. As we chugged across at tuk tuk speed (often one can get places faster by walking) a girl on a moto came at speed and in classic slow motion crashed into the side of the tuk tuk. Jean (sat opposite to me) saw it all coming just from the look of horror on my face & a certain overused expletive. I still marvel at the slow motion speed that her crash helmet (sensible girl) was knocked from her.

I was immediately out of the tuk tuk but before I could get to her there were already 10 bystanders dragging her from under her moto & generally breaking every trauma rule. I tried to explain to them that "Chea Kroo Peit" - I'm a doctor & to "Pror Yatt" - Be careful & "choop" - stop but hysteria had taken hold. They were pulling her about like a rag doll, she was unconscious & her head was rolling around, C-spine control was obviously not their priority.

She had an airway, was breathing & had a pulse - there I go again with the ABCs - just not fashionable here.

When about 30 cambodians had surrounded us - all pushing & pulling her and performing sternal rubs (apparently my VA tells me it is important to wake people up, D before ABC - I am so out of touch) Jean felt compelled to shout "NO!" No one of course took any notice of either of us.

She then was unceremoniously carried to the back of D's tuk tuk where she was dumped in a heap, spinal protection - non-existent.

D was all up for taking her to the hospital, I suggested the Emergency Hospital (NGO) as it is a) free & b) better. Free is important as D will be carrying the financial burden of any medical costs, compensation & bribes. Even then however no one would listen to my directions of how to get to Emergency & we ended up doing 3 sides of a square. Half way D turned around (still slightly shocked) & asked "Where is the old lady?" - whoops!

On the journey I also managed to communicate with her boyfriend (& pillion passenger) that I was a doctor who worked in emergency medicine & that it was important to protect her neck, keep her airway open & stop doing sternal rubs.

By the time we carried her onto a trolley outside the ER at Emergency Hospital she was regaining consciousness & I had regained control of her C-spine. She could move all her limbs, I tried to tell them the mechanism of injury but I was shooed out. I guess that is how I must have treated paramedics & in true buddhist style that this was my karmic revenge.

Then followed a lot of waiting. There was a protracted conversation in khmer between D, a moto driver in a striped shirt & a smiley woman. Then the police arrived so we sat down expectantly for lengthy negotiation only to be told by D he would take us home now.

Returning to the scene of the accident there was no sign of the Finnish lady - double whoops!

It was reassuring for me to know that even outside of my work place, people still fail to heed me & all my efforts to help are futile.

I've witnessed & attended various accidents in the UK - as soon as you declare your profession people tend to step back & afford you some professional respect. As with most things here in Cambodia, it is different. They probably were all thinking 'why is she doing nothing - she needs to rub that girl's sternum really hard and throw her about like a rag doll.' There is a lot to be said about the public health education aspect of programmes such Holby City & Casualty.

Today I went to Emergency to check on her, she wasn't even admitted over night. So she was sensible to wear a helmet even if driving into the side of a tuk tuk isn't to be recommended.

What do I take from this - I miss emergency medicine but perhaps not enough to go around making work for myself.






No comments:

Post a Comment