Friday, March 23, 2012

Dear Esther & Kristy

I spend quite a lot of time on this blog describing the difference between mine & Cambodian culture in a less than non-judgmental way. There is a book that is given as part of a VSO volunteers welcome pack which was written by an ex-volunteer (Jenny Pearson) & her Cambodian colleague at her NGO (Leng Chhay). It is called 'Working in Cambodia' & gives both Cambodian & Expatriates perspectives on living & working together.
My VA V (my third & hopefully last although there is a threat of a forth on the horizon) has started doing reflective practice writing to help his written english & to help both of us make sense of our experience at the hospital.
This week I was away doing health facility reviews & training whilst V had a wisdom tooth removed. I suggested to him he could write a piece on what it is like working with Kristy (an australian volunteer with VIDA, she is a lab scientist & has been here the same length as time as me, we share V part time) and me.
Below is the result - its not 'Working in Cambodia' but it made me smile, laugh & shed a tear. His english you will see requires little correction & I'm sure the sentiment is more than a little coloured by his tooth extraction without adequate anaesthesia. I think he feels the same way about the hospital staff as Kristy & I do but he has a special ability to convey all that in few words  e.g 'I work for her but she works for nobody'.
If someone can explain why it is 'both my bosses' but 'my two bosses' in grammatical rules & terms that would be really helpful.
Enjoy.

Dear Esther and Kristy

I do understand that my both lovely bosses  really look forward to seeing my piece. I am so sorry for delaying in writing it because of time barrier or perhaps they would say because I am lack of commitment. I have found that working with them is very good and enjoyable. First, I want to express something that makes me happy. Esther often goes away to have trainings and meetings. So I have some more days off. I can stay home, read some books, wash my clothes and sleep. Both of them always motivate me that make me feel more confident and warmer in working with them and I feel like I am having a new family. Every day, I can practice speaking English with them. Before I found that listening to the foreigners was very hard, especially my lovely boss Esther, but now I find listening to Cambodians, who speak English, is harder to understand because of their pronunciation and fluency. I have learned a lot about slangs they have taught me and  from two books that they bought for me. I am very happy for being loved and paid attention. On the other hand, I also think that I understand nothing about what they are saying. When they meet to each other, they talk too fast and use most slang language and I just smile and try to catch their words. They ask me “Do you understand V?” I usually say that I don’t understand even I understand some parts. When Esther talks accompanied with gesture, I always follow her. It becomes my habit. One day I thought that it was very funny for myself. I wanted to laugh but I tried to control it. One Cambodian man was making conversation with Esther he also was scratching his bottom. After he finished speaking, I started translating what he said. I didn’t know why I unintentionally scratched my bottom. I really wanted to laugh but I couldn’t. Another example, while the blood transfusion lesson was being  taught, one nurse started to ask a question. While she was asking her hands were playing with her purse. After she finished questioning, it was my turn to translate. I immediately took her purse and I realized that it was money. I suddenly put it down. Now I want to tell about working with Kristy. I  don’t think I work much in verbal translation but written the most. In the beginning I found it was very difficult. I usually asked for help from her and other Cambodian staff. But now I feel it is quite easy and I know a lot about laboratory terminologies. I usually try to cheer her up because I do understand that the working environment in the lab is very boring. I think that I work for her but she works for nobody. I am really sensitive to my both bosses’ mind. They really try to make improvement but they usually don’t get much support and good collaboration. To tell the truth since the beginning of my work, I have treated both of them as my second family. They are so good to me. I do love them equally.
However, when god lets people know each other and stay together, he usually separates finally. Kristy is going to leave so soon. I am so unhappy about her leaving, but I am happy that I can know her and work for her. She and Esther  always encourage and forgive me. Today is Monday when I had tooth operation. I need to finish writing this piece because I can’t do other things. I am resting at home. I don’t know when I can go to work for them.
Finally, I am so grateful to them for my tooth operation payment, for your compassion and for good consideration. I will try my best to work for them and support them in any forms I can. I want to say sorry in advance if I have made any mistakes in this writing.
Love You,
V

1 comment:

  1. Esther, I had the pleasure of meeting you last week and am working my way through your blog. I have to admit, only after 3 short weeks I see the challenges you are facing and can only imagine what this experience is like for you, but thank you for this latest post as it was very touching and I hope you are having a good week! Liz

    ReplyDelete