Friday, November 16, 2012

The best thank you

I had the mother of a patient I tried to help intercept me in the hospital to say thank you the other day - this is becoming a regular occurrence thanks to L my lovely, approachable VA.

The mother in question had given up hope on her daughter, mainly because she had been told her daughters condition was hopeless by the less than caring hospital staff. In desperation she had told me if I could help her daughter she would give her to me - L & I both had a tear in our eye when this happened. She had brought her daughter back to hospital to see me as I had been ill with Dengue when she was discharged.

I hope what we did for her showed the staff that there is sometimes hope beyond their knowledge, skills or attitude - all be it costing $40 for medicine from Phnom Penh. I continue now to try to help her by attempting to arrange a procedure that would cure her completely. This requires me going down to Phnom Penh Cardiac centre next week to speak to a cardiologist who can do the surgery. Treatment will cost $1000 he has estimated, this doesn't include travel for her & a relative to go down to Phnom Penh, living costs for the week whilst they are there & the biggest hidden cost - bribes. She can't even afford to buy the medications to prevent her having another life threatening episode, which the surgery at Phnom Penh cardiac centre would prevent. 

So it would cost roughly $1000 for a life. It really is all about money here. "No money, no life" - as R would tell me when I complain about the incessant talk by Cambodians about 'louy'.

Her mother apologised that she hadn't brought me a gift to say thank you. I felt her daughters pulse - slow, steady & strong - and told her, for me, this was the best thank you. Better than bananas!

Now I need to find $1000 from somewhere..........


1 comment:

  1. That is really good deed to do, being a VSO Volunteer like me. shitifujon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete