Monday, October 8, 2012

Calm Assertive

Recently I have been told that I am not authoritative or convincing enough. The person in question suggested I read Cesar Millan's book 'Cesar's Way' - the mexican american bloke who is the 'dog whisperer' on TV - I scoffed. I was told that I should be "calm assertive" and people, like dogs, would respond to me better. I passively aggressively told him where to go.

Then I spent a rainy weekend in Siem reap in a hotel room, watching re-runs of The Dog Whisperer on Animal Planet. I learnt some pretty pertinent stuff,  that dominant & aggressive dogs are easier to rehabilitate & behaviour change than an insecure & anxious dog.

Now considering that I am meant to be capacity building, which in turn is all about behaviour change suddenly Cesar Millan seemed to be talking a lot of sense. I hadn't really thought of the doctors I work with as anxious but arrogance is very often only hiding a deep seated insecurity.

The trouble is that although I am quite good at passive aggressive, calm assertive energy seems to allude me. I continue to strive to find this higher ground & to be more convincing whilst I am at it....

My New Friend - she is one of the hospital dogs, friendly & playful, takes food from your hand very gently, barks politely, lies patiently at your feet awaiting scraps & follows me all around the hospital despite being threatened with violence by the Cambodian staff - my calm assertive aura is finally working on someone at the hospital at least!

No comments:

Post a Comment