Monday, June 18, 2012

Nystagmus of the head

To the uninitiated, Nystagmus is a medical term used to describe "fast, uncontrollable movements of the eyes".

Whilst I was in China I coined a new term 'nystagmus of the head' because either I have become stunningly attractive & a very rare beauty over night (unlikely) or white people are an unusual sight in Zhangye city (much more likely). 

Suzi had a different problem, as 2 of her Grandparents are chinese, locals were constantly chatting away to her in chinese & becoming increasingly perplexed & frustrated that she didn't answer or appear to understand them. I failed to capture on film the very specific expression on their faces when they realised she wasn't being rude but simply couldn't speak their lingo.

I however made children cry, men nearly fall of there bicycles, & stopped old ladies in their tracks.

One day whilst out on our 'morning exercise' I went back to the hotel early by myself & a miraculous thing occurred. People started saying "Good Morning" & asking "How are you?" - they smiled at me, they held open doors for me. It would appear being on my own had given them the courage to practice their english. Having an asian companion it would seem inhibited all friendly behaviour from the locals.

Now I am back home in Battambang & have rarely turned a head even once, let alone in a fast, repeated & uncontrollable way. Back to mediocracy, *sigh*.........


No comments:

Post a Comment