Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Be careful what you wish for...

Recently I blogged in a post festive, peri-new year pensive mood about all the things that I was missing from the UK. As Stephen Sonheim once lyrically put it :-

 Careful the wish you make 
Wishes are childrenCareful the path they takeWishes come true, not freeCareful the spell you castNot just on childrenSometimes the spell may lastPast what you can seeAnd turn against youCareful the tale you tellThat is the spell
So with the soundtrack of 'into the woods' in my head, I find myself seeing my family, wearing my down jacket & knitwear, eating cheese, drinking wine & tap water (the latter really should have been included in the 'missing you already' blog), sleeping under a duvet & orange blankie and had an emotional moment in Waitrose.
This however is because my Grandmother has died & I have come back for the funeral - to try to be a good daughter, sister, grand daughter, Auntie & if time permits friend. 
And because I am contrary I'm now missing Cambodia, Battambang, the hospital and work - there really is no pleasing some people.
So my advice is be careful what you wish for, they might come true past what you can see...

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I enjoyed reading your blog, especially since I will be in Cambodia for most of February. I am a trauma surgeon in the US in Providence Rhode Island and on staff at Brown University's medical school. Can you please email me at andrew_stephen@brown.edu to discuss. I feel it would be very helpful to discuss the upcoming trip I am taking with my girlfriend(internal medicine) to Phnom Penh. Thanks a bunch Esther. Andrew

    ReplyDelete