Thursday, December 29, 2011

Missing you already...

Saying goodbye to another set of visitors set me thinking about how lucky I am but also how much I miss from home.

I miss people of course. 

My wonderful family & friends whose support keeps me here especially on the days that I really think I can't do it anymore. Having my sister, brother-in-law & 2 gorgeous nieces for 10 days over Christmas now means that I miss them even more acutely than before. Skype is great but you can't choreograph a synchronized swimming routine over Skype. Whatsapp is instant and you can share photos & videos but not a G&T or a dirty hot chocolate. When all else fails & its bad news there is always my Cambodian mobile but the reception is not so good which led me to believe the other day that it was my sister and not in fact my Grandmother who was gravely ill. 

I miss not being able to be an irritating medical relative. 

I miss being a good daughter, sister, grand daughter, auntie & friend (although my parents, sisters, grandmother, nieces & friends may argue I never have been).

I miss money. I miss not having to think about whether I can afford stuff. This can be something as small as a cinnamon roll or a decent cup of coffee.

I miss my camera - it was stolen on Christmas Eve. I miss not just being able to replace it and I miss all the photos on the memory card I will never get back.

I miss cheese - I REALLY MISS CHEESE. In all the lovely 5 star hotels my family stayed in over Christmas there was REAL cheese for breakfast. My continental breakfast feasts became the stuff of legend. Grace procured some swiss cheese, smuggled out in a napkin which I enjoyed last night with crackers but no red wine. Now I miss cheese....A LOT. (and WINE!).

I miss hugs.

I miss HUI.

I miss Waitrose - truth be told this should really be a lot nearer to the top of this list, in reality a half degree below people, is that wrong? Right or wrong I miss a middle class, overpriced, semi-ethical, elitist supermarket. There I've said it.

I miss duvets and down jackets - I miss layers, and knitwear and socks and all things snug & cosy. As the temperature here plummets to the low 20˚Cs I have worn socks once and added a blanket to my bed and on occasions even worn a fleece but it is hardly the winter that the UK had last year with an average temperature of -1˚C.

I miss baths (& Bath!).

I miss working in team (or working in a team where everyone can speak the same language - preferably my mother tongue).

I miss real clinical work. Talking to patients, putting them at ease, building rapport. The conversations you have with patients as you perform intimate or painful procedures on them are simply always lost in translation.

I will miss my computer when the heat, humidity & dust finally kills it.

If you are reading this - I miss not telling you this is how I am feeling right now, face to face.

I won't miss 2011 because I have 2012 and all that it has to bring just around the corner.....

Happy New Year!

4 comments:

  1. Hello Esther,
    God I really hope 2012 is better out there for you. I hope that of all the things you miss this is also balanced by a list of things you love?! You sound soooo unhappy, I know your doing a fab job and won't give in but no one would think any less of you if you came home to those who do care and appreciate you. I don't think I can send you cheese...don't imagine it would travel that well but if there is anything I can send you from Waitrose do let me know, do you have a wish list? Your birthday is approaching and I reckon if I post it soon you should just about get it in time...let me know.
    Happy New Year to you too my friend, Love Kirsa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kirsa,
    I'm actually in quite good spirits - missing home at this time of year is just par for the course (you can tell I am a golf orphan!). Of course there are plenty of things I love about here or else I would have left by now! If it was all plain sailing then I wouldn't have to be here ;-)
    Sorry for being a bad god mother to - I forgot to add that one to the list.
    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Esther,
    I really enjoy reading your blog, not understanding the medical stuff, but getting the gist, and getting hit by the emotional content on more than one occassion. Having been briefly in Cambodia I can imagine the climate, and know your discomfort. I admire you for taking on such a mammoth job.
    Love and best wishes for real cheese, wine and lots of chocolate in 2012, and maybe a gentle breeze from time to time,
    Rob Symington,
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only just read this one, catching up! We miss you here too you know. I should write more and Facebook more and I am sorry that I haven't. I love you and miss you, and I hope you are ok despite everything you are up against. I know loads of people have said this Est but I have so much respect and admiration for what you are doing, and even if the people you are trying to help don't appreciate it, you are my hero. Lots and lots of love. Cleone. X x x x

    ReplyDelete