Thursday, June 9, 2011

Welcome back to Cambodia

I am actually very glad to be back in Cambodia after my short medical visit to Thailand. It was great to walk across the border at Poipet into the dust bowl of this wild west border town where tumble weed wouldn't be out of place. Within seconds of having my passport stamped the attempts to extort money from me had begun.
Scam 1) moto driver asks me where I'm going then tells me that the bus is about to leave so I mustn't wait for the free bus station shuttle but must pay him 2000 reil to take me there immediately.
Scam 2) at bus station I am told that it will cost me $10 to catch a bus back to Battambang. The moto driver 'helpfully' buys me the ticket. Me "but it says here on this ticket that the price is only 12000 reil?" 'helpful' moto driver "where? Really? Oh? You not tourist? Oh? You pay me commission?!!!" we finally settled on a 50 cent commission mainly because by this time I'd lost the will to argue & thought he deserved something for trying! I did however drag him over to the bus & in Khmer confirm with them that it was a valid ticket and told 'helpful' moto driver that I did not trust him.
Scam 3) small child selling coke tried to charge me 12000 reil for a can of coke. After extensive questioning to see if he meant baht or thought I needed a crate of coke or perhaps I'd miss heard him we established that he to was just trying it on. "com kow kngyom" is a handy phrase here thats literal meaning is "don't shave me", it seemed relevant at this point in the conversation to throw it in.
So when the hospital director came out to greet me on my first day back at work with a big smile and hands in the air calling out to me "Esther - how are you?", I thought - how lovely to be welcomed and wanted. On some further introspection I've come to the conclusion he probably just wanted some cash!
I hope to collect my laptop up this weekend from Phnom Penh so if all goes to plan the short iphone blogs will soon be a thing of the past - fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment