Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Not until every last health care facility has been visited will I rest....

Long time, no blog.

So much to say so little battery power on my lap top.

Since blogging last I have been back to Phnom Penh less than a week after moving to my placement. Attended a URC meeting on BLS training and against all my pre-departure training said the words "this is all wrong", not very participatory of me I know but I like to think I enabled the Paediatrician sat next to me to voice his assent and re-work the whole training tool. Next week when we pilot it will be the proof of the pudding.

Then it was back home where on my first outing on the surrounding 11th century hindu temple I received instant karma for joking with a fellow volunteers VA and sustained a sprained ankle. I went down like a sack of potatoes and received very little sympathy from the onlooking stall holders who were quick to comment that last week a Barang had done exactly the same think and sustained a serious head injury.

I followed my own advice and found that resting, elevation and ice really are quite effective. The wound to my right thumb however I am waiting to turn into a tropical ulcer, go gangrenous and drop off!

Another trip to Louise's hospital so when I get the daily lunchtime debrief from her I can visualise the hospital with no sinks or sanitation, 1 hour of red dust road from asphalt and 50 mobile phone shops in the village.

Then it was Khmer New Year so after a whole week and a half in BB most of it spent elsewhere or on a capitol bus I was off on holiday. This time to Siem Reap where I am proud to say I succeeded in visiting NO Wats. The combination of a swollen, painful ankle and 40 + C heat made Angkor Wat the least attractive option.

Siem Reap however is clearly not in Cambodia and I actually experienced reverse culture shock but a glass of red wine and some mexican cuisine helped. Interesting fact, Siem Reap is the poorest province in Cambodia and none of the tourist dollars from the Angkor Wat park go to Cambodia.

Only one day back from holidays and I sit in another lonely hotel, this time in Sisophon, with trips to two hospitals planned in the next couple of days. Dr L, chief doctor of ITU Medicine ward, looked at me bemused when I told him that I was off on another tour of healthcare facilities of Cambodia. I have told him that when I have visited every hospital in Cambodia I will come back to his and do the job I was sent here to do.

Today we saw a man together on the ward round, my limited khmer helped me to understand he had headache and fever. From the end of the bed Dr L demonstrated the clinical signs of meningitis. Then with 4 people holding down the patient, 15 more watching from various ward portals he did the fastest LP I have every seen especially as it was on a patient writhing in pain. This was all facilitated by the absence of lignocaine or aseptic technique.

Seeming the last LP I tried to do at home I failed after 3 attempts I was humbled by his proficiency, "I've done a few" was his modest response. Can I really teach these guys anything about practicing medicine in a resource poor, tropical setting?

So that is where I am at.

I'll keep you updated if my thumb drops off or there is a health care facility I fail to visit.


No comments:

Post a Comment